Pages

Monday 24 January 2011

"Just go with your heart"

OK...here's the deal, I am now in my final semester for my Diploma in Culinary Arts. The most important subject of this whole course is going to be Culinary Arts 1 & 2. CA 1 was easy, too easy (and I get an A for it. MUAHAHAHA). When it come to CA 2, things got a little bit different. The kitchen practical is easy, basically doing what I love to do the most, cooking. But the assignment for this subject is totally kick-ass. 


We have 10 different titles for all of us, who taking DCA with me. But we didn't had the chance to choose the title that we want to work on. The chef-in-charge choose it for us. 


1. Classic Cuisine
2. Modern Cuisine
3. Traditional Cuisine
4. American Cuisine
5. Mediterranean Cuisine
6. Healthy Cooking
7. Flavour of Asian Cuisine
8. Technique of Asian Cuisine
9. Influence of Asian Cuisine
10. TBA


Sorry for the 10th title. I've forgot about it. I get you back later. And guess which title I get. I get the Classic Cuisine. One of the most less favourite & hardest for me to work on. Seriously, I hope for something like Fusion Cuisine. I am more comfortable with Fusion cooking style.


But because I already got this title & absolutely no changing are allowed, I just keep my cool & accepted the challenge like a man. Yea, whatever! I've chosen Classic French Cuisine as my main title to do research on. The reason is simple, because French Cuisine is the mother of all Western Cuisine. So, I've done some simple research on Classic French & my jaw dropped! 




This is what I've got from the net;
"Earliest French Cooking started since Middle Ages".




Do you know when Middle Ages was? 5th Century -15th Century. And Classic French cooking continued but not until Chef Auguste Escoffier (The Father of Modern French Cuisine) improved & popularise French Cuisine. By the time he did that, it was the beginning of 20th Century. 


So, basically, I have roughly 15 Centuries of story to tell here. 1500 years of histories. How can I dig-out all of these? Even my father can't tell me the exact history of my grandfather 80 years ago. And I need to find all of these awesome chefs & cooking styles 1500 years ago? I got a lot of works to do!!


And here came these 2 special lady who I've complained at & give me some words to be consider & encouragement. The 1st one told me to go for it. She believe I can do it & she think it will be awesome if I can do French Cuisine because it can makes me have better & more understanding/knowledge in French Cuisine.


For this 2nd lady, she told me to "just go with your heart". My heart goes like "Go French!!" & my head, "you idiot! You really think you can get all of that infos???". So, I still have time to do my thinking. 


Thanks for both of you. Appreciate for every words of yours.

1 comment:

Adrian Mak said...

Even though I am not doing the Healthy Cooking but thanks for the info anyway.