Pages

Thursday 13 January 2011

"My style of music since I have memory until now"


I think this can be really fun to share it here. Well, sharing is caring, right? You can consider this as a game too if you want to. Feel free to copy this idea and post it on your place if you willing to share this to the others. 


OK...this is how it's work. List down the first ever genre/s or type/s of music you used to listened to then the transition of the genre/s from time-to-time or age-to-age. You may include the name of the band or the name of the song too if you are not sure what the genre of the music is. Start from the time you have memory until now.



3 to 10-year-old: 
I was grown up with the Oldies music. It's from my father. I listened to the great bands/singers like The Beatles, Bee Gees, ABBA, Boney M, The Carpenter, John Denver, Donny & Marie Osmond and so much more. The first song I've memorised the whole thing was "More Than I Can Say", Leo Sayer version.


11-year-old:
I was first exposed to Rap. I knew a Taiwanese's rappers group named "Ma-chi"(wish they were still doing music together) from TV.


12 to 13-year-old:
Got more into Rap. Started to listened to Too Phat and Eninem.


14-year-old:
I'll name this age as the start of Rock music for me. I was first introduced to Skinhead music (but still not really into rock yet). Near the end of that year, I have fell-in-love to a band named System of a Down. They've just released their 4th and 5th album at that time and I was totally addicted to them.


15-year-old:
System of a Down drugged me with the songs! Their styles of music are Hard Rock, Progressive Rock, Alternative Metal and Experimental (the style that actually makes them good).


16-year-old:
Got more into Rock, I turned into something heavier. I listened to the Metal, all type of it. You name it, I love it. Heavy, Trash, Speed, Death, Black (I listened to Black Metal because I think their singing style was funny!), Industrial, Nu and few more that I couldn't identified. Also around this time, I was introduced to Slipknot and Metallica, as well as Static-X, Breaking Benjamin, Fireflight, Green Day, Korn, Love Me Butch, Disagree, Marilyn Manson and many more (happened around 14-16-year-old). 


17-year-old:
I got into a band. And my band-mates have chosen Indonesian songs as our style. They've introduced me to some new-age Indonesian music and also old-school Malay music like Search, Wings, Alley Cats, P. Ramlee., Spring, Jinbara, Krystal, Dewa 19 and few more. The starts of "Jiwang Karat + Rock Kapak" era. 


18-year-old:
Still stuck with
"Jiwang Karat + Rock Kapak" plus all the rock music I mentioned above. 


19-year-old:
After years of heavy stuffs, I've moved to softer music and reviving the Oldies. Introduced to Acoustic, Folk, Reggae, Black music and some more. Musician like Lady Antebellum, Yuna, Zee Avi, Matisyahu (a great reggae singer + beat-boxer but sadly, almost all of the Malaysian don't know this person because he is a Jews. His music never reaches here. But he isn’t like any other Jews like we know. He's a born-again Jews from America. 2 years ago, he works together with a Muslim beat-boxer, Kenny Muhammad, for a live beat-boxing concert).


Now:
Basically, I cover every type of genres above but a little bit more on Oldies. 



Of all the genres I ever listened to, my favourite of all time will be System of a Down. Because they are the band that changed my style completely. How about Oldies? Don't worry. I love all of them especially The Beatles and Bee Gees. Because I grew up with their musics. My greatest childhood memories!





No comments: