Pages

Monday 4 April 2011

"Newest finding about my ancestry"

Yesterday, I went to my mother-side grandma's house. So, as usual, we will buy some snacks & light foods for my grandma & for ourself. We eat, watch AFC (Damn! I miss this channel!) & chat. And all the sudden, one thing came into my mind, ask for the picture of my great-grandmother. Since like forever I heard my mother talks about her grandmother, also my great-grandmother. 


So, my grandma, cracking her old bones to dig-out all the old pictures of my mother-side family. Surprisingly, I mean I was super-surprise because all of the pictures are still in a unbelievable good condition. After like 40 - 50 years, the picture still looks brand-new! 


This is my great-grandma's portrait picture. My grandma told me, of all of my great-grandma's life, she only ever took 3 pictures. Every picture with the same pose, only with different clothes. So, I decided to keep only one for myself & my grandma keeps the other two.


Based on my grandma, my great-grandma came from Sandakan. Now the fun part. The major native ethnics in Sandakan are Suluk, Bajau Simunul, Bisaya and Sungai. Sandakan was not the place where Dusun stays during that time.  Even now, only a handful of Dusun stays there for business purpose. I might not who I am that I thought I was after all. 


And for somewhat reason, during my high-school time, I ever thought that maybe I have the blood of Bajau because I can actually understand what my Bajau friends speaking in Bajau. Sandakan have Bajau Simunul? Coincidence, perhaps!


I might also have the blood of Suluk, Bisaya & Sungai. 


And one thing that makes me wonder, why am my great-grandma wearing cheongsam in this picture? Few reasons, maybe my great-grandma have to act Chinese after married to my great-grandpa (a Chinese-Hakka). She was a Sino too? Or maybe she was an adopted native child by a Chinese family?


I need to find-out more about my great-grandma! 

No comments: